Costa Rica News – More an more people are packing their bags and taking a dental vacation to Costa Rica. A quick 3 hour flight from some of the major hubs in the USA like Atlanta or Houston and you are saving big dollars on your dental procedures. One of the most popular dental procedures performed in Costa Rica are dental implants.
You can’t expect everyone to have a complete set of upper and lower teeth from the time they are young until the time they grow old. There are circumstances that are beyond our control that prevents us from keeping all of our teeth; injury sustained in an accident, genetic gum disease, poor medical condition, old age and more.
However, though there are things we cannot control, you do not have to despair as there are viable options for us to choose from so live our lives normally and still smile with confidence.
Through continuous research and studies combined with the advancement of science and technology, people who have lost their teeth can now have artificial ones that look and feels like the original teeth. There are many available options dental patients may choose from but dental implants outdo the other procedures in terms of function and durability.
So what is a dental implant and how is it better than other dental procedures in the market?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root made of titanium alloy that is imbedded into a patient’s jaw to hold and provide a strong foundation for the replacement tooth or bridge.
Using dental implants to replace missing, cracked, severely decayed and broken down teeth gives patients the following benefits:
- Dental implants reduce the load on the remaining teeth – Since the implants are attached directly in the jawbone, they do not depend on the surrounding teeth and gums like bridges and dentures, but rather they provide independent support and retention to crowns, bridgework and overdentures. Because of this the neighboring teeth remains untouched and safe from deterioration.
- Dental implants help prevent bone loss – When a tooth is extracted, the bone undergoes a process called resorption and deterioration that results in loss of jawbone height. With dental implants the bone is preserved and protected so the natural shape and strength of the bone and jaw are retained.
- Complete restoration of oral functionality – Dental implant restores oral function and feels very much like healthy natural teeth because the natural state of a patient’s biological tooth is replicated in the best way. Thus, patients can return to their normal diets once the base implants have properly ‘osseointegrated’ with the jaw and they can eat, laugh, chew food, sneeze or cough naturally without any worries. Moreover, patients can still enjoy the full flavor and taste of the food they are eating as dental implants do not cover the palate.
- Lasts much longer – Long-term data on implants suggest that implants lasts at least ten years, which is a much longer time than conventional restorations on teeth like bridges and dentures. Furthermore, they do not need much repair and maintenance and can be treated like normal teeth.
- Improved speech – Unlike other dental restorations, dental implants do not hinder speech ability and articulation. They help fill the gaps left by missing tooth and restore the proper interaction of teeth, tongue and lips when speaking.
There is a lot of information to digest when it comes to preparing for your dental vacation to Costa Rica. Entry requirements to Costa Rica, how to find a dentist or dental clinic, what to expect for your specific procedure and so much more.
The Medical Tourism & Travel Guide Offers a Free E-Book to answer all your questions as well as a FREE comparative quote from 2 of the top dental clinics in Costa Rica. The Costa Rica Dental Team (American Run and Operated Clinic) and Kaver Cosmetic Dentistry (The Clinic that treats Mrs. Costa Rica).