Costa Rica News (With Pics)- Well we just had a large earthquake with an epicenter near Samara in Guanacaste. It was felt throughout Costa Rica. A strong 7.9 earthquake rocked Costa Rica on Wednesday, rattling buildings and cutting power in some areas of the capital of San Jose, a Reuters correspondent and the U.S. Geological Survey reported.
Check pictures on Facebook, The Costa Rican Times. The quake hit close to Samara, a coastal area on the Pacific some 151 kms (94 miles) from the capital city. A Caribbean-wide tsunami watch is in effect, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said.
- 2012-09-05 14:42:10 UTC
- 2012-09-05 08:42:10 UTC-06:00 at epicenter
- 2012-09-05 10:42:10 UTC-04:00 system time
- 3km (2mi) NE of Samara, Costa Rica
- 27km (17mi) S of Nicoya, Costa Rica
- 40km (25mi) SSE of Santa Cruz, Costa Rica
- 73km (45mi) W of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
- 155km (96mi) W of San Jose, Costa Rica