Costa Rica News – I am pretty sure this scorpion did not have a passport or visa to travel to the UK……
Paramedics who treated the woman on Tuesday described it the ‘most unusual call-out of the year’. She unwittingly brought the arachnid 5,000 miles home from her holiday in Costa Rica.
South Central Ambulance Service and a co-responder from the fire service assisted the woman at her home in Waterlooville, Hampshire, after she was nipped. She received treatment at hospital and is now back at home. It is not known what happened to the little black and brown scorpion after it was captured in a glass.
A spokesman for the ambulance service said: ‘The advice we have accessed from Toxbase (National Poisons Information Service) is for anyone with a scorpion sting to be assessed and monitored at hospital.’ He added: ‘I think that’s the most unusual callout of the year in the bag for 2018.’ Waterlooville Fire Station spokesman Marley Cameron said: ‘Our co-responder has just assisted with an incident which was a bit different than we normally attend.
‘A female was bitten by a scorpion which had decided to hide in her suitcase on return from her holiday.’ There are 14 different species of scorpion in Costa Rica, all of which are not deadly to humans. There are only about 25 species of scorpion known to have venom capable of killing humans. Got a story
From Metro UK