Costa Rica News – A sloth is now recovering after an amputation of one limb. She had suffered an electric shock on November 19, in San Ramón, Alajuela.
She was rescued when firefighters found her and transported her to an animal care center.
The animal has been interned in the Hospital of Wild Species of the National University. Although the shock burned her left forelimb and damaged adjacent muscles and nerve structures, she has responded well following the surgery.
The officials of the veterinary care center named her Veronica. They say she is young, but have not specified her exact age. They have given her antibiotics over the last two weeks and she has fought hard to stay alive. The shock led to a depression that caused a parasite and the loss of appetite. She has gotten better on a special diet.
Once leaving the critical state and being able to hold on to trees, she will be transferred to the animal rescue center Zoo Ave, in La Garita, Alajuela. She may even be able to be reintegrated into her natural habitat, depending on her recovery progress.