Costa Rica News & Events – When I was searching for an internship – be it in college or after I graduated I wanted an experience where I would be gaining knowledge as well as having a good time. Life is too short to be all work and no play.
So many of us are trying to find our path in life and pursuing one’s own dreams instead of those of others. This November it is time to step outside the box in a unique journalism internship program based on the beaches of the land of “Pura Vida”, Costa Rica.
Imagine this: the chance to spend six weeks in sunny (most of the time!) Costa Rica – sounds a bit too good to be true, right? You will spend six weeks with the Costa Rican Times’ knowledgeable experts who will teach you all you could ever want to know about article writing, radio podcasting and video broadcasting. The program combines all three major areas of journalism to give interns an insight into the career path they want to follow.
They will be based in a comfortable, open-plan house just outside of Jacó, on the Pacific side of the country. While here, they’ll have personal instruction with the staff associated with the Costa Rican Times online newspaper who will be dedicating their time to teaching you the ins and outs of modern journalism. Reporting styles are moving on and it’s important to keep up with all of these changes. You’ll learn how to edit and piece together your own work to a professional standard.
Interns will have classes Monday through Friday concerning all aspects of journalism with experts that will demand a quick grasp of the knowledge presented. Daily articles will be assigned and published in the online news source. Classes will all be taught in English, so no need to panic if your Spanish isn’t quite up to scratch! That said, the interns will receive weekly Spanish classes, so by the end of it you should feel more comfortable chatting to the locals.
But this will not be all work all the time, it is important for the interns to be able to experience the country. If the pursuit of knowledge is not enough then maybe you can be tempted with a sunset catamaran tour, a canopy tour of the stunning Monteverde rainforest, the opportunity to tour world-renown Manuel Antonio National park; plus you will learn the basics of free diving and how to surf! All of this is included in the program cost, thanks to our sponsors.
The wildlife and geography of Costa Rica is pretty spectacular – don’t be surprised to see an iguana climbing trees outside your window! On top of being packed full of useful career-style information, we want you to make the most of being here and of what Costa Rica has to offer.
What would you rather be doing Thanksgiving weekend; the same old family trip or venturing through the rain forests of Costa Rica?
Below is a full list of all of our sponsors and the weekend activities for the interns that will make your time here in Costa Rica one you will always remember.
- Blue Dolphin Sailing, Tamarindo – Sunset Catamaran Tour – http://www.bluedolphinsailing.com/
- Free Dive Costa Rica – Free Dive Experience & Yoga Class – http://www.freedivecostarica.com/
- Accommodations – Hotel Zullymar – 2 nights – http://zullymar.com/
Monteverde Weekend Adventure (Transport To and From Included) – Nov 21st to 23rd
- The Original Canopy Tour – Canopy Tour – http://www.theoriginalcanopy.com/
- Monteverde Butterfly Gardens – http://www.monteverdebutterflygarden.com/
- Accommodations – La Colina Lodge – 2 nights – http://www.lacolinalodge.com/
Jacó Weekend Adventure – Nov 29th – 30th
- Surf Lessons – Board Rental and Instructor Included
- Jungle Booze Cruise – Adventure Tours Costa Rica – http://www.adventuretourscostarica.com/tours/rainforest_tours/jungle_booze_cruise/
Manuel Antonio Weekend Adventure (Transport To and From Included)- Dec 6th – 7th
- Mangrove Boat Tour – Quepoa Tours – https://www.facebook.com/quepoatours
- Manuel Antonio National Park with Guide – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Antonio_National_Park
- Accommodations – Costa Verde- 1 night – https://www.costaverde.com/