Costa Rica News – A week after a vacationer was stranded in the San Juan de Dios Hospital in Costa Rica and died, it seems that the bacteria that probably killed him is spreading throughout the hospital. Ok public health system, a problem has been found what are you doing to fix it……we are in Costa Rica so not much.
Clostridium difficile, or C. diff., is a type of bacteria that lives in many people’s intestines.
The biggest risk factor is antibiotic use, especially a type of antibiotic that is broad-spectrum (is able to treat a wide variety of bacteria) or if you have been taking antibiotics for an extended period of time. Ding, Ding, Ding……a bell should go off in your heads. When you go to a Costa Rica hospital until they actually diagnose you for what ails you most patients are given the same antibiotics for everything.
The goal should be to actually diagnose the specific ailment and prescribed an antibiotic that will create antibodies to fight this bacteria.
Through a press release it was stated that the medical center normally expects two to six cases of this bacterium per week, but that between the 18th and 19th weeks of this year (from April 29th to May 12th) there were eight cases.
The preventive measures that are said to have been implemented are to isolate existing cases, to reinforce hand hygiene, to use antibiotics restrict risk, to disinfect the area and to communicate with the patients’ families. Great….so they want to use more antibiotics….which is the biggest cause of this bacterium.
Maybe they missed that day in medical school.
This organism causes fever, vomiting, severe diarrhea and damage the colon and, in some cases, death.
In 2009 this bacterium killed 17 people in the San Juan de Dios hospital.
This is why I encourage expats living in Costa Rica or tourists travelling to Costa Rica to make sure they purchase insurance that covers them in the private hospital system in Costa Rica.